Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Shrimp, Chicken, and Sausage Gumbo

I went to visit my brother and his wife this past weekend and she made an awesome gumbo.  My brother gave me some of his smoked deer sausage, and I used it in the dish along with some chicken breasts and shrimp. It was really good, but I think Pam's was better. Maybe it has something to do with being cooked for that is so delightful.
I think I got this recipe years ago from one of Jud's friends who cooked dinner for us. Thanks Mike Walzel for the wonderful meal you cooked for us.
Printable Recipe:

https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingsherry/shrimp-chicken-and-sausage-gumbo
Ingredients:
1/2 large onion
1 rib of celery
1/4 cup canola oil (vegetable oil, olive oil will also work)
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 link of smoked sausage cut into cubes
2/3 pound of shrimp (if they are large, cut in 1/2)
1 cup of cooked rice
Sweat the first 2  ingredients over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes in the oil.  Add 2 tablespoons flour and stir to make a rough. Add the 2 chicken breasts and cook until no longer pink.
Add water or chicken stock (about 3 cups), diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add  sausage and shrimp.  Cook until the shrimp are no longer pink.  Serve over a nice spoonful of rice. Enjoy!

No comments: