Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Country Captain


I love my Talk About Good cookbook.  This recipe was not explained very well so I will put my notes in italics. I would use a  chicken that is already cut-up. I'm not very good at it.  You should see my chickens after the massacure.  It is not a pretty sight.  



Ingredients:
1 large fryer or young hen (preferably cut-up)
1/3 cup oil
1 can ( 14.5oz) tomatoes
1 can (14.5oz) English Peas
1 can (4.5oz) mushrooms
1 cup celery, chopped
1 medium-size onion, chopped
1/2 stick butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon curry powder
Method:
Cut chicken in frying pieces, unless you followed my advice and bought one already cut-up. Salt and pepper each piece and roll in flour. Fry  in 1/3 cup oil until golden brown. While chicken is frying, put all the other ingredients into a large heavy pot with cover.  When the chicken is brown, put it into the pot. Make a brown gravy with dripping from the chicken, butter, 2 tablespoons flour.  Make a rough with the butter and flour.  Add 2 cups of milk.Add the fried chicken to the pot. Cover tightly and cook on low (300 degrees) for 3 hours.  Remove chicken from bone. Serve over steamed rice and top with parched almonds and currants.  Mrs. Larcade took first place at the Intertnational Rice Festival--judged by Gaynor Maddox--on this old family recipe. This will probably not go on my list of favorites, but I do really like the addition of almonds and raisins. I didn't have almonds, so I used toasted pine nuts.

No comments: