Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sweet Potato Souffle

This is another recipe from Thanksgivings at the Edwards'.  When I was first married and introduced to the Edwards' Thanksgiving, I used to ask for all the recipes after dinner and they would sit around the table and talk while giving me their Thanksgiving recipes. I am so thankful that even then I loved to cook enough that I wanted the recipes for good food.  It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without this sweet potato souffle. I guess everyone has at least one recipe that you have to have at Thanksgiving. This is mine.
Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/sweet-potato-souffle

Ingredients:
3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes - I used fresh sweet potatoes, but you could certainly use canned
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
Method:
Take the fresh or canned potatoes that are still warm and add the 6 ingredients and mash the potatoes.  Since my potatoes were fresh and very hot, I added a little of the hot mixture to my eggs to temper before adding the eggs to the other ingredients.
Mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the potato mixture. Bake 350 degrees 30-35 minutes until topping is a little crispy.  I made these potatoes ahead and put them in the refrigerator. I mixed my topping ahead and kept is separate in a baggie. Then Thanksgiving day, I added the topping and baked @ 350 degrees for 1 hour. 

No comments: