Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kalyn's Best Meatloaf

This has become my favorite meatloaf recipe.  I added another egg to help it bind a little better. The cream of mushroom soup adds some moisture to it.  Of course, Jud and I had to add some catsup on top when we ate it.  We like that tomato taste with meatloaf, but Kalyn suggests brown gravy.




Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground beef ( I like ground chuck best)
12 oz. package reduced fat pork sausage (I use Jimmy Dean 50
% less fat sausage)
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I make my own from low carb. bread. If you want to reduce the carbs even more, you could use less bread crumbs.) I just used the bread crumbs from the box, but if you want South Beach, stay with Kalyn's suggestions.
1 pkg. lipton onion soup mix (dried mix)
1 egg-I used 2 eggs
1 tablespoon garlic powder (I added 1/2 T. onion powder)
salt and pepper
Method:
Take ground beef and sausage out of the refrigerator and put in a bowl and allow to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. I didn't take it out of the refrigerator in advance.

In food processor, blend onion soup to grind up onions pieces, then add bread crumbs and buzz a few times so bread is in small particles. I didn't do this process.

Add bread crumb/onion soup mixture, mushroom soup, egg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to bowl containing the meat and mix together by squeezing with your hands so all ingredients are well combined. Shape into two loaves and bake about 1 hour, or until instant read meat thermometer reaches at least 170 degrees

This freezes very well. If you have any left-over brown gravy in your freezer, it is great over the meatloaf.

No comments: