Saturday, November 27, 2010

24 Hour Fruit Salad

This is a combination of a 24 hour fruit salad that my mom used to make and one I found on foodnetwork.com. My mom's recipe had pears, peaches, pineapple, and grapes for the fruit.  Food network only had grapes.  I like this better, but I like foodnetwork's dressing. I love making something my own by adding or subtracting ingredients that I don't think we will like.  Creativity in cooking.


Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/24-hour-fruit-salad
Ingredients:
4 egg yolks
2 lemons
1 pint whipping cream
1 pound seedless red grapes
1/2 can peaches
1/2 can pears
1 small can pineapple tidbits, drained
1/2-3/4 package miniature marshmallows
Method:
Cook egg yolks and lemon juice over a double boiler, while whisking constantly until slightly thickened. Cool.  Whip the cream and mix with egg yolk and juice mixture. Combine grapes, marshmellows, pineapple, peaches, and pears. Fold in whipped cream mixture. Place in a serving bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours. I didn't need all of the whipping cream that the recipe called for so I used the rest on the pumpkin pie we had for dessert.  I would suggest adding a little whipping cream at a time until you have the consistency you want.  It will get thicker in the refrigerator.

No comments: