Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tex-Mex Salad

This is a salad that Stacy made years ago while we were on a skii trip. I don't know why I haven't made it since.  This recipe calls for ground beef which would make it a nice meal for lunch.  I used it as a side-dish for my fish tacos and didn't use the meat. Stacy didn't use it either when she made it.  I forgot to buy catalina salad dressing, so I looked it up online and found an easy recip that I made. I will include it after the salad.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1- 15oz can kidney beans, drained
1 teaspoon salt
1 head lettuce, chopped (I used salad in a bag, so it wasn't a whole head of lettuce)
1 medium onion, chopped (I used 1/2 of a purple onion)
4 medium tomatoes, chopped (I would cut them in half and seed them before cutting them)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1-8oz package tortilla chips, crushed
1 large avocado, peeled, seeded, and sliced
commercial salad dression (Stacy used catalina and I did too)
Cook ground meat until brown, stirring into small pieces. Drain off excess fat. Add beans and salt, stirring well, and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine lettuce, onion, tomatoes, cheese, and tortilla chips in a large bowl. Add beef mixture and toss lightly. Garnish with avocado. Serve with salad dressing.

Catalina Salad Dressing
3/4 cup salad oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup catsup
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
Put all ingredients in a glass jar and shake.

No comments: