Friday, March 11, 2011

Stuffed Flounder

This was in my mom's recipe box and I have just gotten around to trying it.  I so wish she were alive so I could ask her if she actually stuffed the flounder.  The flounder I got was so thin that I decided to just put the stuffing on top of the flounder and cook it that way.  I guess I'll never know if this is how she did it, because I can't ever remember her cooking this dish. I know it was one of her favorite things to order in a restaurant.  So this is for you mom.

Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/stuffed-flounder
Method:
1/2 cup each of finely chopped onion, celery, green bell pepper. Add 1 can crab meat.
Saute in 1 Tablespoon butter until slightly wilted. Mix with 1 1/2 cups of crumbled cornbread. 
Add 1 can crab meat. I actually bought the imitation crab meat that you find in the grocery store with the crab. It is really cheap. Moisten with chicken stock. (about 1/2 cup) Mom didn't say how much. She says to just add until it looks like stuffing you make for Thanksgiving. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.  Place this stuffing mixture in an oven-proof dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.  Remove from oven and put the stuffing in the uncooked flounder and bake 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  As I told you, my flounder was too thin to make a pocket to put the stuffing in so I just mounded it on top of the flounder.  I served it with some red sauce.


No comments: