Monday, March 21, 2011

Shrimp Creole

When you have cooked for 40 something years, you are bound to make a mistake every once in a while. I thought I had bought the right amount of everything, but when I got to the part about 3 pounds of shrimp, I had only bought 1 pound. No problem, right!  Wrong.  I didn't 1/2 everything until I got to the part about 3 - 14 oz. cans of tomatoes.  I thought I had more than enough liquid so I just added 1 can of tomatoes.  Don't do what I did.  This was about inedible because it was about a 5-alarm fire. Jud got out his regular peppers to have with the dish, and quickly put them back.  I froze 1/2 of the liquid, so when I make it again, I will add a can of tomatoes and it will be about right, I HOPE!!  Recipe Comes from Fine Fighter Fare Cookbook.
Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/shrimp-creole
Ingredients: I would guess that this recipe would serve 6-8.

1/3 cup oil, or 4 T. unsalted butter (I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 canola oil)
2 cups onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
1 3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2-3 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 jar Heinz Chili sauce
2 cups stock (seafood is best, chicken or beef will do)
1- 28oz can tomatoes and 1- 14.5oz tomatoes
4 Tablespoons sugar
3 - 3 1/2 pounds shrimp (fresh uncooked) peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon Gumbo File' - optional
5-6 cups rice
In a large stockpot, heat oil, Add 1 cup of the onions and cook over high heat about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until onions are a rich brown color but not burned. Add the rest of the onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic and butter. (I didn't need to add additional butter)
Cook, stirring often, until the rest of the vegetables start to get tender- be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan when stirring. Then add curry powder, chili powder, white pepper, cayenne, black pepper, salt, thyme, basil, and oregano; stir well and let mixture heat about 5 minutes or so. While pot is heating, open cans of tomatoes. Pour into pot, add tabasco sauce, chili sauce and stock. Stir to mix well. Let simmer about 10 minutes or so, then stir in sugar. Turn heat to medium-low and let simmer for 1 hour. Pour in shrimp and cook for 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. Cook until shrimp are plump and pink. Stir in file- if using. Serve over cooked rice.

No comments: