Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Orzo Salad

A couple of weeks ago I went to buy orzo at the grocery store for some dish I wanted to make.  I didn't realize it, but I already had orzo, so I have been looking-up recipes to use orzo.  I probably have a life-time supply, so if you ever need any, give me a call.  I made this recipe up out of my head. I will try to guess how much of everything I used.  I ate this for lunch. I gave it to Jud with left-over stuffed bell peppers and rissoto.


Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked orzo
6 cup boiling water
1/2 cup diced English cucumber
1 roma tomato, seeded and chopped
1 avocado, chopped
5 sprigs of asparagus, blanched
2 tablespoons basil
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon purple onion chopped fine
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted for about 5-7 minutes in 350 degree oven
Cook to orzo in boiling salted water for about 8-10 minutes until it is aldente'. Drain and set aside.  Chop all vegetables and put in the orzo.  This is just a method. You can use any vegetables you happen to have in the refrigerator.  I loved this dish and will certainly be making it again.
Dressing:
Whisk all ingredients and pour over orzo salad
 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
1/2  fresh lemon,  juiced
enough olive oil to combine (about 1/4 cup)

No comments: