Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Watermelon Salad


Last year, my daughter took me out to eat for my birthday.  We ordered several things to share. Watermelon salad was one of the items that we ordered. I have thought about that salad several times over the year. This week, we bought an awesome watermelon and I knew it was time to try to find a recipe for that salad in my memory. It may not be quite as good, but it does the memory justice. You can find the recipe Here
I used goat cheese because I prefer that to feta. 

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups watermelon, cut into 2×2 inch cubes (approximately 2/3 of a medium watermelon)
  • 1 5oz bag organic baby arugula
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup mint, chiffonade
  • 1/4 cup Maple Dijon Vinaigrette (recipe below)

Procedure:

  1. Make vinaigrette below and set aside.
  2. Over a steady cutting board, hold one side of the watermelon with a kitchen towel, using the other hand and a large knife to cut in half, lengthwise. Cut the halves lengthwise again. Being very careful, slide your knife under the pink flesh on each watermelon quarter and separate the flesh from the rind. Cut watermelon into cubes.
  3. In a large bowl, combine arugula and pumpkin seeds. Toss with vinaigrette, to taste.
  4. Portion arugula and pumpkin seed mixture onto plates. Top each plate with watermelon cubes, feta and a touch of mint.
  5. Drizzle each plate with a bit more vinaigrette.

Maple Dijon Vinaigrette:

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon shallot, minced
  • 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:

  1. Combine all ingredients through shallot in a small bowl. Stir briefly together.
  2. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly to emulsify. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I bought a pound of shrimp for my coconut shrimp and didn't need but 1/2 for us, so I made the watermelon salad today and put shrimp on top.  I placed the raw shrimp on a baking sheet. I added a little olive oil, salt and pepper on top and baked it at 400 degrees F. for about 5-10 minutes. Just until they are pink.

No comments: