Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Buttermilk Pie

 I usually use a frozen pie crust from the grocery store, but I forgot to buy one so I made my own. I will print the recipe that I used
Jud and I went to Eastside Cafe for our anniversary meal and we had this pie for dessert. It made me want to try strawberries on my regular buttermilk pie recipe.  Great addition.




Ingredients for 2 pies:
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup melted butter
pinch of salt
1 cup of buttermilk
Directions:
Beat eggs, add sugar mixed with flour and a pinch of salt. Add buttermilk to melted butter and then add this to the egg mixture. Mix well and pour into 2 raw pie shells. Bake 325 degrees 1 hour and 10 minutes.
I cut this recipe in 1/2, but you could certainly make 2 and freeze one of them.

Ingredients for pie crust:
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Cut in 6 tablespoons butter and gradually add 3-4 tablespoons milk.
Directions:
Add flour salt and baking powder to a mixer with the paddle attachment.  Add the 6 tablespoons of butter that has been cut in small pieces. When the butter in mixed well, add the tablespoons of milk to the mixer. Mix until it forms a ball. Remove and place on a floured surface. Roll into a large circle and place in the pie pan. Pour in the buttermilk pie ingredients and bake 1 hour and 10 minutes.

No comments: