Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Huevos Rancheros

Jud really likes huevos rancheros at our favorite breakfast taco place that we go to on Saturdays.  I decided to try this recipe that was in a cookbook I got for Christmas.  I really liked it, but I will probably tweek it a little as I will mention in the recipe. I cut the recipe in 1/2




Printable Version:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/huevos-rancheros


Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (16oz) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion
1 (10oz) can Rotel tomatoes (Since I was cutting the recipe in 1/2, I didn't use the Rotel Tomatoes. I just added some jalapenos to the diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
6 eggs
1/2 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
6 corn tortillas, warmed

1. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Since the tomatoes have onion and green pepper in the can, I probably won't add this step next time. Little too much onion for my taste.
2. Add next 6 ingredients and cook over low heat for 5 minutes and pour sauce into a 9" X 13" baking dish. Make 6 indentations in the sauce and gently break an egg into each.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until eggs set. (It actually took closer to 20-25 minutes) Sprinkle with cheese and cook an additional 1 minute. Place each egg on a corn tortila, cover with sauce and serve immediately.

No comments: