Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Aunt Sherry's Raisin Bread

My Aunt gave me this recipe.  She used to give it to my mother and grandmother for special occasions, like bithdays.  It is a great recipe and it makes 3 loaves.  It is great toasted for breakfast or for a mid-morning coffee break.  I put one in the freezer, gave one away, and kept one for our breakfast. 


Printable Version:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/sherry-s-raisin-bread

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 box raisins (I don't use that many because I don't like that many raisins in the bread. I used about 1/3 of a box.)
2 packages yeast dissolved in 1 cup warm water
2 eggs, beaten
7-8 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon\
1 tablespoon butter
Dust raisins with flour to keep them separated in the bread.  Heat milk and add butter, sugar and salt.  Cool to lukewarm and add yeast that has been dissolved in 1 cup warm water, and eggs.  Add 5 cups of flour and raisins. Add rest of flour. Let rise 2 hours. Knead on floured surface. Makes 3 loaves. Let rise. Bake 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Brush with butter.
I like this to be a cinnamon/raisin bread. So after the first rise, I flatten out the bread and add the cinnamon and brown sugar with chunks of the butter spread out over the 3 loaves of bread.  Roll the bread into a loaf and let rise for 2 hours.  Then bake.  I glaze mine with powdered sugar and milk instead of butter.  It is good either way.

No comments: