Friday, September 30, 2011

Bacon and rosemary Sauteed Brussels Sprouts and Baby Bellas

Jud is out of town and I am eating very healthy.  Tonight I came home from the movie, Higher Ground, and made this meal for myself.  It was all I needed. I loved it. I could have eaten the whole thing, but I wanted to save half for another time.  It could certainly be a side dish, but I made it for my meal.


Printable Version:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingsherry/brussels-sprouts

Ingredients:
1 pound brussels sprouts
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, whiped clean
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil I probably only used about 2-3 T.
2 oz bacon, cut into 1" pieces.  I used 4 slices of bacon
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, each about 4 inches long  I probably only used one piece 2" long
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 T. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 lemon
1. Trim the stem ends of the Brusserls sprouts. Cut the smallest spraout into quarters
Cut the largest sprouts in half, and then cut each half into thirds, in both cases, cut lengthwise through the stem so that a piece of the core holds the leaves together. Cut the mushrooms in a similar fashion. Quarter the smallest ones, and cut the larger ones in half and then into thirds, lengthwise.
2. In a 10" skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sprouts, mushrooms, bacon, and rosemary. Season with the salt and using tongs, stir well to combine everything. The pan will be very crowded, that's okay.
3. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook, stirring ocasionally at first and more frequently when the vegetables begin to brown, until the vegetables are well browned and the Brussels sprouts are tender. (28-30 minutes. The bottom of the pan will be quite brown. Remove the pan from the heat, discard the rosemary, and add the butter pieces. Stir gently with a silicone spatula until all of the butter has melted. Give a generous squeeze of lemon over all and stir again. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve warm.  I did not use the butter and didn't think it was needed.  I also didn't add any lemon juice. When I have it for left-overs tomorrow, I may add a little butter and some lemon juice to warm.

No comments: