Saturday, October 1, 2011

Massaged Kale Salad

I thought I had posted this salad before, but I couldn't find it when I got ready to make it yesterday.  Last time I made it, I thought it was even better the next day, so this time, I decided to make it a day ahead of when I plan to eat it.  Jud is out-of-town so I will probably have this for lunch with some baked chicken, and then eat it for dinner tonight with some shrimp cocktail.
I got this recipe from Aarti Sequeira from Food Network.

Printable Version:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingsherry/massaged-kale-salad
Ingredients:
1 bunch of kale (black kale is especially good), stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced. I haven't been able to find the black kale at H.E.B.
1 lemon, juiced--I also zest the lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons honey
freshly ground black pepper
1 mango, diced (about 1 cup)
Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), about 2T.
Directions:
In a large serving bowl, add the kale, half of lemon juice and zest if using, a drizzle of olive oil and a little kosher salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2-3 minutes. Set aside while you make the dressing.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining 1/2 of lemon juice and the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of olive oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes. Pour dressing over kale and add mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.

No comments: