Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lemon Tea Cakes

My mom gave me this recipe in the cookbook she made for me. The recipe came from my great grandmother, Cora Ashley.  I added the lemon juice and lemon zest because I thought it needed a little added flavor.  I think I would probably glaze them with a lemon juice and powdered sugar next time.  I needed them to be a little sweeter for my taste.  I had a dozen left-over from the book celebration, so I made some lemon icing.  I used about 1/4 of an 8oz. cream cheese, zest of one lemon, and juice of one lemon and enough powdered sugar to make it the right consistency.  I probably won't make these cookies again. Not worth the calories.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, milk, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and soda. Mix well and add flour. Turn dough onto a floured surface, working by hand until you can handel the dough. Rool out about a 1/2 thick and cut with a round cookie cutter.  My mom said that one time she rolled them in wax paper and put them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.  I put them in overnight. Then she sliced them and baked at 350 degrees about 13-15 minutes.  I sprinkled them with sugar.  Next time I will ice them. I admit it, I love sweet things.

No comments: