Friday, September 9, 2011
Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Filling
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
1/2 cup pluss 2 tablespoons cake flour
1/3 cup unsweet Dutch-process cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
2 large eggs, separated
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons water
Ingredients for Filling:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners; sugar
3/4 cup Marshmallow Fluff
1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon heavy cream
Ingredients for Frosting:
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1. Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with vegetable oil spray. In a medium bowl, sift the flour and cocoa with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the canola oil, 1/2 cup of the sugar and the water. Beat in the dry ingredients at low speed until smooth.
2. In a clean bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff and glossy. Beat one-fourth of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites until no streaks remain. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them halfway. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cupcakes are springy when touched. Let the cupcakes cool for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
3. Make the Filling: In a medium bowl, beat the butter with the confectioners; sugar, marshmallow fluff, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the heavy cream at medium speed until fluffy. Transfer all but 1/2 cup of the filling to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4 inch plain round tip. Beat the remaining 1 teaspoons of cream into the remaining 1/2 cup of filling and reserve. I did not add the extra cream. I just popped it in the microwave in the pastry bag for a few seconds to get it thin enough to make the little decorations on the top of the cupcakes.
4. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Insert the tip of the pastry bag about 1/2 inch deep into the bottom of each cupcake; squeeze lightly to fill with cream. Set the cupcakes on the sheet.
5. Make the Frosting: Heat the cream in a small saucepan (I used a double boiler) until steaming. Add the chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter and stir until smooth. Spread the top of each cupcake with the frosting. Spoon the reserved filling into a pastry bag fitted with a very small plain tip and pipe decorative swirls on each cupcake. Refrigerate the cupcakes for at least 10 minutes to set the frosting. I put the cupcakes in the refrigerator after I frosted them. After this frosting was hard, I decorated the tops with the reserved white icing.