Sunday, September 25, 2011
Steak Chile Rellenos
4 large poblano or Anaheim chilies 2 T. coconut oil (feel free to use vegetable oil )
1/2 red onion, diced 1 pound tri-tip, diced into small pieces
1/2 T ground cumin 1 T. dried oregano
1 T. chili powder sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, diced 1 bunch Kale, chopped
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 2 Roma tomatoes, diced and seeded
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies, mild 1 cup salsa verde
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
2. On a tinfoil-lined baking sheet, bake the whole chilies for 10-12 minutes.
3. The chilies will be slightly charred when finished, remove from baking sheet and set aside to cool.
4. In a large skillet, add the coconut oil (or vegetable oil if you aren't on Paleo diet) and heat over medium. Add the onions and saute' for 2 minutes.
5. Add the steak and saute' until the meat starts to brown.
6. Add the spices to the onions and meat and stir well.
7. Add the remaining ingredients, except the salsa verde and cilantro. Cook until the greens are tender, about another 2 minutes.
8. Remove the meat mixture from the heat and set aside. Using a knife, cut a slit lengthwise down the middle of the chilies. Remove the seeds gently with a spoon and place the chilies into a glass baking dish.
9. Stuff each chili with the meat mixture and bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and top each chili with some salsa verde and fresh cilantro. Serve.
I would not hesitate to serve this meat without the peppers. It would be great over rice or potatoes. Of course those are not on the paleo diet, but it would be fine by itself served with sides of your choice.