Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pumpkin Seed Dried Cherry Trail Mix

This trail mix looked good and like something I could eat as a healthy choice when I needed a snack. I could probably eat this whole container, but I won't let myself.  I wasn't sure about the pumpkin seeds, but I love them.  I will have to save the seeds from my pumpkin next year.  I only made 1/2 of the recipe, because I wasn't sure about the pumpkin seeds. Next time I will make the whole recipe.



This is the 3rd time I have made this recipe and of course, I made the whole recipe.  I love it on oatmeal, as a snack, or on salads. It is a winner.

The recipe comes from Clair Robinson - 5 ingredient Fix on Food Network


Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/pumpkin-seed-dried-cherry-trail-mix
Ingredients:
2  cups of baby pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
6 tablespoons pure Grade B maple syrup
coarse salt
1 cup dried cherries or cranberries

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
2. In a large bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds, almonds, and sunflower seeds and the syrup until evenly coated. 3. Spread the nuts and seeds out, in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets and season with salt to taste. Bake the nuts, stirring several times with a spatula or wooden spoon, until just golden, about 20 minutes.
4. Cool the nuts completely on the pan, then add the cherries and toss to combine. Store cooled trail mix in an airtight container at reoom temperature.

No comments: