Monday, June 6, 2011
Lasagna with Turkey Sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage, sasings removed
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound lasagna noodles
15 oz. ricotta cheese
3-4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup Parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8-10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes, until thickened.
3. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl or pot with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, and remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside
5. Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 X 12 X2 inch baking dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and 1/3 of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, the sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.
To make ahead, refrigerate the assembled, unbaked lasagna. After removing from the refrigerator, bake 40-50 minutes.