Monday, June 6, 2011

Chicken Tabbouleh

This is a very healthy salad. We had some cherry tomatoes from our garden that I was able to use.   I know I'm bragging, but if you saw my garden, you would understand. I don't have much to brag about.  The real reason I made this dish is because I had some bulgur wheat I wanted to use-up. I'm not sure I would make it again. It was just O.K.  That doesn't usually make the cut when I'm trying to decide if this is a do-over.  It has to be above an 8 on our scale and this was not.  It makes a big batch so I will be eating on it for the rest of this week.  Not sure I could get Jud to eat it again.  From Ina Garten's - Cooking Family Style
Printable Recipe:https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/chicken-tabbouleh

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups boiling water (I used chicken stock)
1 cup bulgur wheat
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
I also used the zest from 1 lemon
olive oil
Kosher salt
1 whole (2 split) chicke breast, bone in, skin on (I used a baked chicken from the grocery store)
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup minced scallions, white and green parges (1 bunch)
1 cup chopped fresh min leaves (2 bunches)
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and medium-diced
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (my tomatoes were small so I didn't half them)
1. If you are using a baked chicken from the grocery store, you will skip step 1 and 3.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a heat-proff bowl, pour the boiling water over the bulgur wheat. Add the lemon juice, zest if you are using it, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the bulgur to stand at room temperature for about an hour.
3. Place the chicken breast on a baking sheet and rub it with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
4. Remove the chicken meat from the bones and discard the skin.l Cut the chicken into medium dice and add to the tabbouleh. Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Season to taste and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. The flavors will improve as it sits.
Maybe it will be an 8 or 9 by tomorrow.  Hint:  It was better the next day, but the best thing I did was serve it in wheat pita pockets that had been toasted.  I also added a little olive oil and heated it in the microwave for 20 seconds.  It was really tasty.  I may make it again afterall.

No comments: