Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sherry's Raisin Bread

My aunt Sherry, no I was not named for her. She came in to our family after I was born. She married my uncle Butch.  Her raisin bread was one of my mother and grandmother's favorite things in the world. Now I know why. They used to ask for it for their birthday's and she always brought it to their birthday celebration. If they were feeling nice, they would share it with us at breakfast the next morning.  It is great hot out of the oven, but I like it even better spread with soft butter and toasted for breakfast.  Yum! Yum! Yum!  Did I say how good this is?



Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/aunt-sherry-s-raisin-bread
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups milk  (at least 2%)
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages yeast (or 4 1/2 t.)
1 cup water
2 large eggs
7 cups flour
3 cups raisins
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
My aunt puts the raisins in with the dough and it comes out great, but I decided that this time I wanted to add some cinnamon and sugar to the recipe so after I made-up the dough, I flattened it out and spread it with soft butter and then sprinkled cinnamon and sugar mixture over the dough. Then I sprinkled in some raisins.
Heat milk to scalding: add butter, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water.  Add the lukewarm milk mixture. Stir in the eggs. By hand, gradually add 5 cups of flour.  This is when my aunt adds the raisins.  Work in the remaining 2 cups of flour. Place in a deep, greased bowl.  Turn the dough to grease both sides. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size--about 2 hours.  Punch down and turn on to floured surface. Knead and form into 3 loaves. Let rise in loaf pans about 1 hour. Bake 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Brush top with butter.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for my variation.  Add all of the 7 cups at once and let rise until double.  Today, I had something to do so I ended up punching it down and letting it rise again before I baked it into bread. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.  Flatten each 1/3rd of dough and sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar, and raisins.   Brush the top of your bread with a little egg/milk mixture. This will make it pretty.  Roll into the size that fits your pan and let rise 2 hour. Bake 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

No comments: