Friday, June 1, 2012

Pirate Cake Pops

I got this idea from Pintrest and decided to make them for my grandsons' 5th birthday party. I found a picture on pintrest and just tried to copy it.  You can order them from Etsy, but they are pretty expensive. If I had it to do over, I would not do these. It is so much trouble, and he told me last weekend, after I had bought the stuff to make them, that he didn't like cake pops.  Go figure.








The first thing you do is make the cake of your choice as directed on the box.  He wanted strawberry so I bought the cake mix and canned icing.  After the cake is baked you break it up in a bowl and add the icing from the can.  I just did a little at a time, because I wanted to make sure I would have enough icing to do 25 cake pops.  After mixing it well, form them into a ball and place on a cookie sheet. I like them small so that each pop can be put into your mouth in one bite.










Put some sticks in the cake pops and place them in the freezer for 15 minutes.  While the pops are in the freezer, melt the white and red chocolate bark in separate bowls.  Remove the pops one at a time and dip them in the white chocolate. I tried to just cover the bottom part of the stick with the white chocolate so that the top part would not have a double layer of chocolate.  Let the white chocolate harden while you make the remaining pops. You can stick each one in a piece of styrofoam to allow the chocolate to harden. After the white chocolate hardens, dip the top part for the bandanna in melted red bark.  You will want to tilt the top part so that it is not straight across. While the bark is still wet add the dots for the bandanna. I bought multi-colored dots and separated them out for a while, then I decided multicolored would be just fine. I ran out of white chocolate bark and decided to melt some semi-sweet chocolate, but it didn't harden as easily as the bark.









After the bandanna has hardened add the eyes and patch in a tube of black candy writer. I bought mine at a cake decorating place.  You can go on pinterest and type-in pirate cake pops for a better picture.
I decorated the square piece of styrofoam like a pirate ship and push the cake pops into the ship.





No comments: