Saturday, June 30, 2012

Bon Voyage Soup

This looks very similar to my New Orleans Bean Soup. We are leaving on vacation for 3 weeks and I was trying to clean-out my refrigerator.  I had two sweet potatoes, a large onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 6 carrots, 1/4 head of cabbage, about 2 cups of cooked pinto beans, a carton of chicken stock, a can of diced tomatoes, and about 10 chicken tenders in the freezer. I added a little oil in the bottom of my dutch oven, added the onion and garlic. Then started adding carrots, sweet potato, and cabbage.   I let these cook about 15 minutes while I browned the chicken in a separate pot. After the chicken was done, I added that to the pot along with the pinto beans, chicken stock, and diced tomatoes.  It cooked another hour until the vegetables were fork tender.  I was a little surprised that it turned out so good.  Jud made some cornbread and that was dinner.  Oh, I also added 2 limes that I cut in half.  It added a little something that I really liked.  My refrigerator is ready for us to leave on vacation.  I'm ready and packed.  I just have to wait until my ticket says it is time to go.  Bon Voyage. See you in 3 weeks.

No comments: