Saturday, June 9, 2012

Salisbury Steak

I found this recipe in my "Healthy Meals for Hurried Families" by Jan Tilley.  Jud loves the Salisbury steak at Luby's so I thought I would try this recipe. I really liked the onions and gravy.  I made my own gravy and I will tell you how I did it after the recipe.


Printable Recipe
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingsherry/salisbury-steak
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef (I only used 1 pound and I had 4 nice-size patties. Plenty for two meals)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup saltine cracker crumbs (I used Ritz crackers because that is what I had)
1 egg slightly beaten
2 tablespoons 1% milk (use whatever you have)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (.75oz) mushroom gravy mix
Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, onion, cracker crumbs, egg, milk, salt, and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
2. Shape hamburger mixture into 4 (1/2" thick) patties
3. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place beef patties in skillet; cook 12-15 minutes or until centers are no longer pink, turning once.
4. Use same skillet with pan drippings to prepare gravy mix according to package directions, drizzle over steak and serve. (My meat was so lean, I didn't have any dripping.  So I added about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the same skillet. After that has heated, I added about 1 tablespoon flour, mixing and then adding about 1 1/2 cups of water.  Allow to boil and thicken.  If you wanted to add mushrooms, I would add those before I added the flour.)

No comments: