Saturday, April 7, 2012

Southwest Shrimp and Corn Chowder

I made a variation of this soup which I will give at the bottom.  We really liked it.  I bought the easy-to-peel shrimp and cut them in thirds. It was a nice change.  We bought a ham this week and got a bunch of free stuff. One of the items was a package of frozen H.E.B. Southwest Style Rice and Beans. I was out of hashbrown potatoes, so I substituted this instead. It was really good. I can't imagine the hash brown potatoes being any better, but I will probably try it next time.







Printable Version:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingsherry/sw-shrimp-and-corn-chowder

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons serrano chiles (I used 1 jalapeno)
1 (4.5oz) can chopped green chiles, undrained
3 tablespoons flour
1- 1/2 cups milk
1- 1/2 cups chicken stock
1- 1/2 cups hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 (1525oz.) corn with red and green peppers, drained
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Melt butter in a large cooking pot. Add onions, bell pepper and serrano peppers
Saute 2 minutes. Add canned chiles to pan. Add flour. Cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Stir in milk and next 5 ingredients through corn. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp. Removefrom heat and add cilantro
Servwe with Quesadillas

If you make the variation, add the frozen SW Style Rice and Beans when you would have added the potatoes.  I also left out the can of corn with green and red bell peppers because the SW rice and beans has corn in it.  You could also cut down on the red bell pepper because the package also has bell peppers.

No comments: