Sunday, April 8, 2012
One-Pot Shrimp Paella
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced lean ham
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I cut mine in thirds)
1 1/4 cups aborio rice
3 1/4 cups (or more) low-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled (if desired)
1/4 teaspoon hot Spanish paprika or hot Hungarian paprika (I just used the paprika I had)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, halved
1. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add ham, onions, bell pepper and saute' 5 minutes. Add shrimp and saute' an additional 3-4 minutes; removefrom skillet and set aside. In same skillet, add rice, broth, saffron, paprika, salt and pepper.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir shrimp mixture into rice, top with olives, and drizzle with 1/4 cup (or more) broth to moisten.
5. Cover and cook over low heat until heated through, about 3-5 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste with more salt and pepper, if deeded. Makes 6 servings