Saturday, December 17, 2011

New Orleans Bean Soup

I have no idea why this is called New Orleans Bean Soup, and I don't remember where I got the recipe, but it is a winner.  Hearty and you can double or even tripple the recipe very easily.  I had made a big pot of beans last week and had some left-over. I also had about 3 cups of turkey meat left-over from Thanksgiving. I took it out of the freezer, added the onion, beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Yum!

Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/new-orleans-bean-soup

Ingredients:
1 chicken
1 - 1pound can tomatoes
2 cups uncooked pinto beans
1 tablespoon salt
1 onion - quartered
1 large bell pepper
1 lemon
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Soak the bean overnight in a large pot of hot water to cut the cooking time.
In a large add 2-quarts of water along with the whole chicken, onions, and beans.  When the beans are tender add salt, green peppers, tomatoes, lemon, garlic powder, and pepper.  Simmer 40 minutes.

No comments: