Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The best Blueberry Muffins










I am going with my hiking budies for an outing next week and decided to make these wonderful blueberry muffins for breakfast or snacking. I found blueberries on sale, and couldn't resist.
Didn't have a picture the first time I made them, but this time, in Oregon where the blueberries are plentiful, I snapped a picture. 


Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar, or slightly less depending on tartness of blueberries
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups blueberries (mash 1/2 cut with a fork)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 12 regular muffin cups, including the area between each cup, or use foil baking cups. (I spray my baking cups with cooking spray)
In a medium-size bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla,baking powder, and salt. Mix mashed berries into batter.
Fold in 1/2 the flour with a spatula, then 1/2 the milk. Add remaining flour and milk. Fold in remaining blueberries. Scoop batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg sugar and bake 25-30 min. or until golden brown. Let muffins cool at least 30 min. in the pan before removing.

No comments: