Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Drip Beef Sandwiches

 

I found this recipe on Food Network's Pioneer Woman. She doesn't make anything bad. I made a few changes which I will note.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 Ingredients:
One-- 4-pound chuck roast
Salt and Black pepper
 3 tablespoons butter
     2 tablespoons canola oil
    2 cups beef broth
    2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 package of Italian dressing mix
    One-- 16 ounce jar pepperoncini, juice and all
   2 yellow onion, sliced ( one was enough for us)
    10-12 toasted, buttered deli rolls--or favorite cheese ( I used fontina cheese)
Directions:
Sprinkle the chuck roast with salt and pepper
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and the canola oil in a heavy pot over high heat. Sear both sides of the chuck roast until browned, about 5 minutes in all. Pour in the beef broth and 1 cup of water. I didn't use the water because I cooked it in the crock pot and it didn't need the extra liquid. Add the rosemary, or Italian dressing mix , and pepperoncini with their juices. Now cover the pot and simmer until the meat is tender and falling apart, 4-5 hours. I cooked mine in the crock pot on low for about 8 hours.
 
Meanwhile, heat the skillet over medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the onions and sauté until light golden brown. Set aside.
 
Remove the roast from the pot and shred the meat completely using two forks. Return the meat to the cooking liquid and keep warm.  Before I shredded the meat, I took out enough for dinner and made side dishes to go with it.  Then I shredded the rest of the meat, removed the pepperoncini, and put it in the refrigerator overnight. The next day for lunch, I removed the pot and removed the grease. I warmed the meat and put the pepperoncini back in the meat. I cut off the stems.
 
To serve, slice wedges out of the tops of the deli rolls. Heap a generous portion of meat on each roll, and then spoon some of the cooking liquid over the meat. Top with a few peppers from the pot and plenty of caramelized onions. Top the sandwiches with the wedges of roll and serve. I toasted my bread with a little cheese on the bottom of the roll. Then I put the meat on each roll. I found that it didn't need any of the liquid because the meat had been in the liquid and it made the sandwiches harder to eat with the extra liquid. After the caramelized onions, you can add a little extra cheese if you are so inclined.
 
 
 

No comments: