Tuesday, October 1, 2013
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 4 cup souffle' or casserole dish
2. Warm buttermilk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cornmeal. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in butter and salt. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Whisk egg yolks into cornmeal mixture. Add green onions and Cheddar cheese. Stir well.
4. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add to cornmeal mixture, a little at a time, folding gently to avoid deflating.
5. Scrap mixture into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes until puffed, golden brown and set. Serve immediately.