Friday, October 18, 2013
Flourless Chocolate Cake
One of the ladies commented that we might as well spread this on our hips because that is where this would end up. She is probably right.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for the pan
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
5 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup crème fraiche or sour cream (I used crème fraiche
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting the cake
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch spring-form pan and dust with cocoa powder
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter with 1/4 cup of the heavy cream over medium-low heat until the butter is melted. Add the bittersweet chocolate and stir until melted and smooth; remove from the heat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, and cocoa powder; whisk in the chocolate mixture.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until puffed and set, 35-40 minutes. Let cool in the pan for one hour. Run a knife around the edge of the cake before unmolding.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream with the crème fraiche and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Dust the cake with confectioners' sugar and serve with the whipped cream.