Tuesday, October 1, 2013
Grilled Moroccan Meatballs with Yogurt Sauce
We had enough left-over to have again later in the week. Really liked the dipping sauce. There might be some other dishes that I could serve this with sometime soon.
Ingredients for the Meatballs:
1 large egg
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound 85% lean ground beef
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
Vegetable oil, for grilling
Ingredients for Yogurt Sauce:
1/2 English cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and finely diced
1 cup plain low-fat or whole milk Greek yogurt (do not use non-fat)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from one lemon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions for the Meatballs:
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (about 500 degrees).
2. Mix together the egg, garlic, cumin,l allspice, cilantro, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the ground beef and panko and mix with your hands until well combined
3. Using a 1/3 cup measure, for 8 disc-shaped meatballs, (They will dome slightly on the grill, forming nicely rounded meatballs.)
4. Lightly dip a wad of paper towels in vegetable oil and, using tongs, carefully rub over the grates several times until glossy and coated. Grill the meatballs, covered, for about 4 minutes per side, or until they are nicely browned on the exterior and no longer pink in the center. Transfer the meatballs to a serving plate and let rest for 3 minutes. Serve with the yogurt sauce.
Instructions for Yogurt Sauce:
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.