Saturday, April 16, 2011

Boiled Shrimp

I have a great memory that comes back to me whenever I have boiled shrimp .  My mom and dad used to own a little place in Double Bayou with 3 of his brothers. (I think the name has changed since then). It was out of Anahuac.  The men would go out in the boat and use their seine to catch us shrimp for dinner.  They would take them out of the net and turn them over to the women. (Isn't that just like the men).  The women would put on a huge pot of water to boil and in 3 -5 minutes, we would have the freshest boiled shrimp you could possibly have.  My mom would take a huge bowl and fill it with ice.  Then she would put the shrimp on top.  We would clean our own shrimp and eat them with red sauce.  It probably isn't fair to Jud that I had this early training on cleaning shrimp, but all is fair in love and food.  I served it with a toss salad, but the shrimp were all we had at that famous meal in Double Bayou.  Oh, and don't forget the red sauce.

Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/boiled-shrimp


Ingredients:
Enough water in a large pot to boil the shrimp
1 pound shrimp--with the shells still on - (I used the easy peal from the grocery store)  My man does not have a boat or a seine.
I used some crab, crawfish, and shrimp boil. (It comes in a mesh bag that you throw in the water.
1 teaspoon red pepper
3 tablespoons salt
slices of lemon
I did not see that these additions added the spice that I wanted and my mom never added anything.  Maybe if I had boiled the water with the spices longer, I would have tasted the difference.
Red Sauce
catsup
prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon lemon juice

No comments: