Tuesday, September 28, 2010
1 medium head of cabbage- discard tough leaves and save 2 for a later use
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, finely chopped (I just used one red pepper)
2 medium onions, finely chopped (I just used one onion)
1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
1/2 cup long-grain rice, cooked as directed on package
1 can (15-19 oz) white cannellini beans rinsed and drained
1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts-- sliced, drained, and finely chopped
1 can (28 oz) tomatoes
1. Remove 2 large cabbage leaves; set aside. This is to cover the cabbage after you stuff it. Cut out core and center of cabbage, leaving a 1-inch shell. Discard core and dice 2 cups cabbage from center leaves.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and half of onions; cook, stirring often. (8-10 minutes)
3. Add diced cabbage, rice vinegar, garlic, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 tablespon ginger; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in rice, beans, and water chestnuts.
4. Fill cabbage shell with vegetable mixture., packing mixture firmly but gently. Cover opening with reserved cabbage leaves, overlapping slightly; tie with string. In an 8 quart Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add remaining onions and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Add remaining 1 tablespoon ginger; cook 30 seconds.
5. Add tomatoes with their juice, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 cup water, breaking up tomatoes with back of a spoon. Place stuffed cabbage, core-end down, in tomato sauce and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour, basting cabbage occasionally. To serve, place cabbage in deep platter; discard string. Spoon sauce around cabbage. Cut into wedges. Serve with French bread if desired.