Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cake Balls

This is a very labor intensive dessert, and I'm not sure I will ever make them again. I will take them to church tomorrow night and see how they go-over. This dessert is not for the faint-of-heart or those who are watching their calories. I guess most desserts could fall into that category, but as you look at the recipe, you will see what I mean.  Susi Moore has something I don't have and that is patients. Dipping them in chocolate was very time-consuming and tedious for me. It is possible, though I haven't tried it, to make the cake like normal. Put the icing in the middle of the cake and then pour chocolate over the whole cake.  
Cake Balls dirrections:
Use any cake mix that you want adding melted butter instead of the oil that is called for on the box.  Bake accofding to directions in two round cake pans. Allow it to cool for about 15 minutes and then remove from pan. Cut the hard edges off the cake and crumble ito a large bowl.  Add about 1/2 a container of vanilla or chream cheese frosting.  I think I must have added about 3/4 can of frosting.  Just play with it. It has to be the consistency to make into balls.  Chill the crumbled mixture in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.  Make into balls about the size of golf balls. I put these on a cookie sheet and allowed them to harden a little in the refrigerator. Take them out and dip them in melted chocolate with 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to keep the chocolate smooth. Place the dipped balls on wax paper and allow to harden.
Susi doesn't mention what kind of chocolate she used.  I used the chocolate bark that you find on the baking isle of the grocery store. This didn't need the olive oil.   It wasn't enough so I had to use part of a package of semi-sweet chocolate chips and I used a little olive oil for a smooth consistency.
* The balls where I used the semi-sweet chocolate with extra virgin olive oil did not get hard. The ones where I used the chocolate bark got hard, and we liked those best. They were certainly less messy.

No comments: