Saturday, November 15, 2014

Sweet and Spicy Short Rib Tacos

I have put this on my blog before, but it is worth have more than once. It is really good. It is a recipe from Paula Deen







Printable Version
Ingredients:
4 dried ancho chilies, steemed, seeded, and ribs discarded
1 medium onion, quartered
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
6 pounds beef short ribs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Warm corn tortillas
Mexican crema or sour cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
slices of avocado for garnish- optional
I used the crema recipe that I use for my fish tacos. I think if you type in fish tacos at the top of this page you will find the recipe.
Directions:
Soak the ancho chilies in boiling water until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain and discard the liquid. Transfer the softened chiles to a blender or food processor. Add the onion, garlic, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, beef broth, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Puree until smooth. I only used about 2 pounds of beef short ribs so I divided the recipe by 3. Next time I will divide it in 1/2 because I think it could have used a little more liquid.
Pat ribs dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown the ribs in 3 batches, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes per batch. Transfer the browned ribs to a slow cooker.
Pour the sauce over the ribs (liquid should reach about 1/2 way up the sides of the meat.
Cover and cook 7 hours on high until very tender.( I used a crock pot and cooked it on high for about 4 hours) Allow the ribs to cool slightly in the sauce.
Remove the ribs from the sauce. Discard the bones and shred the meat into a large bowl. Skim the fat from the surface and discard. Mix the sauce into the meat and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon the meat and sauce into warm corn tortillas and serve with Mexican crema and chopped fresh cilantro. My crema recipe has cilantro in it so I did not add extra. We did add some avocado on top even though the recipe doesn't call for it.

These ribs can also be cooked in a 350 degree F oven for 3 1/2 hours.

No comments: