Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Green Rice and Corn Pudding





This green rice is one that my mom always made and I could eat the whole recipe by myself. It goes great with almost anything. I probably already have this on my blog, but it never hurts to repeat.  The corn pudding is a recipe I got from Barefoot Contessa. It is my favorite corn pudding recipe.  I love the basil in it and you can get basil year-round.  I grow it in my backyard, but that time is almost gone.
Printable Recipe:
Green Rice Ingredients:
1 cup green onions, chopped
2/3 cup green bell pepper
2 tablespoons veg. or canola oil
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
1/3 cup parsley, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 small jar pimiento
Method for Green Rice
Add the 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Heat to medium. Add onions, bell peppers, parsley and cook until soft.  Add remaining ingredients in a 12" X 13" baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes.  Remove from oven and add chopped pimients. Toss with a fork to combine.

Printable Version:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/corn-pudding

Ingredients for Corn Pudding:
1 stick butter
5 cups corn kernels cut off cob (6-8 ears)This time I used frozen corn and I couldn't tell the difference
1 cup chopped onion
4 extra large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons basil - chopped
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
34 cup grated cheddar cheese + extra for the top
Method for Corn Pudding:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease inside of baking dish. (I use cooking spray)
Melt the butter in a large saute' pan and cook the corn and onion over medium/high heat 4 minutes. Cool slightly. Whisk together eggs, milk, 1/2 and 1/2 in large bowl. Add cornmeal and ricotta cheese. Whisk well. Add basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the corn mixture and grated cheese. Pour in a baking dish and sprinkle with more cheese. Bake 40-45 minutes. Cook in pan filled 1/2-way with water. This time when I cooked it, it seemed to take much longer ( about 1 1/2 hours) Maybe it was because I cooked the green rice at the same time.  Of course the green rice was finished long before the corn.

No comments: