Saturday, November 5, 2011

German Meat Balls with Lemon Caper Sauce

I changed this recipe just a little.  It called for boiling the balls in simmering salted water, but I put them in a 400 degree F. oven and baked them for about 25-30 minutes. I was just afraid to try boiling them. I thought they might fall apart. If you try the boiling method, let me know how they turn-out.  This recipe made enough meatballs for two meals, so I saved 1/2 of them back and will use the other half in some marinara sauce for spaghetti with meatballs.  I got this recipe from my Talk About Good Cookbook. It was submitted by Mrs. Richard P. Sevier

Printable Version:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/german-meatballs-with-lemon-caper-sauce
Ingredients:
1 slice firm type bread (+ just enough water to soak the bread)
3/4 pound ground chuck
1/4 pound ground pork
2 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed (I used one)
2 chopped anchovies
1 egg
3 tablespoons flour (If you bake them in the 400 degree oven, you don't need this)
salt and pepper
Ingredients for Sauce:
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup water ( I ended up using about 2 cups of water because it got really thick fast) use your judgment.
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tablespoon capers and 1 tablespoon caper liquid
juice of 1 lemon (I also used the lemon zest)

Moisten bread and squeeze dry. Mix thoroughly with meat, potatoes, anchovies, egg, 3 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper. Shape in balls about the size of a walnut. Dredge in flour. Drop in simmering salted water. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove meat balls from water.

For sauce, melt butter, add flour; add water and bouillon cube. Cook, stirring until thickened. Add capers, lemon juice and zest, and pepper to taste. Add meat balls simmer for a few minutes. Serve over egg noodles or with parsley, boiled potatoes. I should have chopped a little parsley to go over the dish, it would have made the presentation much better.  I used bowtie pasta, because that is what I had.

No comments: