Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chocolate Pork Roast Sliders

Since I have been on the Paleo diet, I haven't been eating much bread at all so I had the pork with the slaw on the side. I didn't miss the bread at all, but I have discovered that the bread is what makes you feel full. I get hungry sooner, and need a snack. But from what I read, that is good to eat 5 little meals instead of 3 big meals. I will probably just have some raisins and nuts for my snack around 2:30p.m.  This comes from Paula Deen from Foodnetwork.



Ingredients:
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 tablespoon whole white peppercorns I couldn't find white so I used the black instead
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon ground ancho chile pepper I had two dried ancho chiles so I ground them in my spice grinder and used 1 tablespoon of that.
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
one 4-pound Boston butt pork roast
1 cup beef stock
1 onion, thinly sliced
6-8 hamburger buns I used the sliders
pickle spear, optional
Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a small skillet, combine the coriander seeds and peppercorns. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and toasted, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. In a coffee grinder, process the spices until finely ground.
In a small bowl, combine the peppercorn mixture, salt, ancho chile pepper, cinnamon and cocoa. Rub the spice mixture evenly over the pork roast.
In a Dutch oven, combine the beef stock and onions. Add the roast to the Dutch oven. Cover and bake until very tender, about 3 hours.
Using two forks, shred the roast. Serve on buns with pickle spears if desired
After 3 hours I didn't feel like it was tender enough to shred, so we had slices of the roast with some vegetables for dinner.  Then I put it in the crock pot and cooked it on low for about 4 hours. It was perfect. So today we had it shredded on sliders for lunch. I just warmed it in a saucepan.

Broccoli and Red Cabbage Slaw Ingredients
Two 12-ounce packages broccoli slaw mix
2 cups dried cranberries
1 cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
1 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli slaw mix, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and cabbage.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, brown sugar, and salt. Add to the broccoli slaw mixture, tossing gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving.
I took the lazy and fast way. I just opened the broccoli slaw mixture and poured enough in the bowl for 3 sliders. Then I added a mixture of mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Though it was delicious.

No comments: