Saturday, August 6, 2011

Zucchini Caprese Sandwich

 I found this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine from 2011.  I put some meat on Jud's sandwich because he likes his meat.  I didn't put meat on my sandwich.  I have an indoor grill that I bought years ago in a street market in Mexico.  I love it and really enjoy cooking on it.  This recipe is for 2 people.


Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingsherry/zucchini-caprese-sandwich

Ingredients:
1 large zucchini
mozarella cheese
1 onion slice
basil leaves
olive oil
salt and pepper
butter
bread- I used thick slices of sourdough bread
1. Cut the large zucchini in 1/2 and then cut into thin slices.  I made 4 slices on each half. Brush olive oil on both sides of the zucchini.  Salt and pepper the side you put on the grill.  Let cook about 5-7 minutes to get good grill marks on one side. As the one side cooks, salt and pepper the side that isn't on the grill. Turn and cook 5 minutes on the other side. Keep turning until the zucchini has cooked through. Even though the recipe doesn't call for it. I also grilled 1 slice of onion.
2. As the zucchini cooks, cut slices of mozarella and butter one side of the bread.
3. When the zucchini has cooked through, place the zucchini, onion, mozarella and basil leaves on 1/2 of the buttered bread. Top with the unbuttered side.  Place the buttered side in the skillet and put a cast iron skillet on top of the unbuttered bread. Weigh it down with a heavy object to cook one side 2-3 minutes.  Take off the weighted skillet and butter the side facing you. Flip the sandwich and return the weighted skillet to the sandwich. If you have a panini press, you will butter both sides of the bread before putting it in the press. Delish!

No comments: