Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lemon Barbecued Meatloaf/ Roasted Vegetables w/ Orzo






Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingsherry/lemon-barbecue-meatloaf


This meatloaf is very easy and delecious. I will make it again and again. That is the good thing about taking out old recipes and trying them again.  I didn't have any potatoes to mash, but I had plenty of orzo.  I bought a huge plastic jug of orzo about 2 months ago for a recipe that I was going to make.  When I got home, I discovered that I already had a huge jug of orzo.  I have been looking for recipes for orzo lately. I made this one up and it was really tasty.  Ann Butler submitted this recipe to Woodland Cook 1999.

Ingredients for the Meatloaf:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 egg, beaten
4 slices bread, cubed
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons salt
Combine all ingredients, mix well and shap into 3 loaves. Place in a greased 9X13X2 pan. Bake loaves at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Then cover with the following sauce and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes.

Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup catsup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and use to top the meatloaf after cooking 15 minutes w/o sauce.
You may want to place a lemon slice on each loaf for garnish. Baste occasionally with the sauce.

Ingredients for orzo:
Boil about 3 cups of salted water in a small saucepan. When the water boils add 1 cup of orzo.
While the orzo cooks, place vegetables of your choice on a baking sheet with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.  I used 2 yellow neck squash, 1/2 onion, 1/2 bell pepper. Grape tomatoes cut in 1/2 would also be wonderful.  After the orzo is al dente, drain and place in a bowl.  When the vegetables are fork tender, put them in a food processor and pulse until cut into small pieces. You don't want to puree. You want chunks. Scrape that into the bowl with the orzo and season with salt and pepper.  I wanted some nuts and dried fruit in it so I added about 1 tablespoons of hazlenuts and 1 tablespoon of dried cranberries.  We really liked it.

No comments: