Thursday, July 7, 2011

Strawberry Pie

This is one of my favorite strawberry pie recipes. When I come to Oregon, Carolyn, our host, always asks for it.  Since she lets us stay in her little house for free, it is the least I can do.  I also pick her strawberries, which are more plentiful than one can imagine.



Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/strawberry-pie
Method
Mash 1/3 cup of strawberries with a potato masher or fork. Fill the rest of the cup with water. Add 1 cup sugar with 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch.  Cook over medium heat until thick. Add red food color to get the color you want.  When I buy strawberries in the grocery store, I like to add food coloring because they pick those while they are still green.  Chet and Carolyn's strawberries rippen on the vine before I pick them so they do not need one drop of food coloring.

Cool this mixture.  Put 2 pints of strawberries less the 1/3 cup you mashed into a pre-baked pie shell.  I like to use vanilla wafer crust or cocolate wafer pie crusts, but I couldn't find those in the grocery store in Newport. So I just bought a pie shell and cooked it ahead of time.  Top the whole strawberries with the strawberry mixture and top with whipped cream. If you aren't planning to eat the whole pie at one sitting, I suggest you leave the whipped cream off and top each piece of pie with dollops of whipped cream. You may want to garnish with an extra strawberry.

No comments: