Saturday, January 22, 2011

Open-faced Chicken Parmesan Sandwich

I checked out Ellie Krieger's cookbook from the Alsea library and went through it last week and bought the stuff for several of her recipes.  This one is really good and oh so easy.  Even a cave man could make it.  I added the tomatoes and avocados because I had them and thought they would be a good addition.  I was right.


Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/open-faced-chicken-parmesan-sandwich

Ingredients:
1 loaf whole-grain Italian bread ( I used a rustic Italian bread I found, it wasn't whole wheat)
2 cups jarred marinara sauce
4  5-oz cooked skinless boneless chicken breasts
4 cups baby spinach leaves (I didn't use the spinach, but I'm sure it would be great)
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (3/4 oz)

Preheat the broiler.
   Slice the bread in 1/2 lenghthwise, then in 1/2 again crosswise so you wind up with 4 pieces. Scoop out the bread to remove the soft inner portion and discard. Place the bread scooped side up on a baking tray. At this point, I put some extra virgin olive oil on the bread and toasted it slightly. This is not part of the recipe)Spoon 1/4 cup of sauce into each piece of bread. Lay a piece of chicken on top and cover with 1 cup of spinach leaves. Pour another 1/4 cup of sauce on top of the spinach, then sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup of mozzarella and 1 tablespoon of Parmesan.
   Broil until the spinach is wilted and the cheese is bubbly and browned, 4-5 minutes.
At this point, I added fresh tomatoes and avocados to the top.

No comments: