Monday, January 31, 2011

Country French Omelet

I found this recipe in Ellie Krieger's So Easy cookbook while I was in Oregon.  Alsea has a nice library where I can go and check out books to read while I am here, and I always check out a couple of their recipe books.  This was a winner. We had it for breakfast, but I could so see making this for a nice easy dinner one night with some great bread and maybe a little fruit.

Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/country-french-omelet
Ingredients:
1T. olive oil (I didn't use this because the bacon had plenty of fat)
3 slices of bacon cut in 1" pieces
1 cup unpeeled yukon gold potatoes
salt and pepper to taste
5 extra large eggs
3 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon chives (I didn't have any, but it would have been really pretty with chives or tops of green onions)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in ovenproof skillet. Add bacon and cook until bacon is browned and fat is rendered. Remove bacon and set aside. Place potatoes in pan with salt and pepper. Cook 8-10 minutes until tender and browned. Remove to bacon plate. Beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper with a fork. Remove fat from bacon pan. Add butter. Lower heat and pour egg mixture into pan. At this point I just turned off the heat. Sprinkle bacon, potatoes, and chives over top and place in oven for 8 minutes.  Next time I will probably add a little cheese on top. I feel about cheeese like Paula Deen feels about butter. Cheese makes everything better.

No comments: