Friday, January 14, 2011

Hungarian Goulash

This is a recipe that Chet Rawie gave me out of his soup book that I am borrowing here in Oregon.  I am going to print this how the recipe says and will put in italics the changes I made.  It has the flavor of chile, but I like the potatoes that are in this soup. 


Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingsherry/hungarian-goulash

Ingredients:
4 strips of bacon, diced
1 cup minced onions
1 pound lean beef, cut into small cubes I used ground beef instead
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 finely minced garlic clove
3 tablespoons tomato paste
6 cups rich beef stock
2 cups diced, cooked potatoes- Chet recommended to cook them in the soup and so I did
Saute' bacon and onion until onion is golden, stirring often. Push to side of pan. Raise heat, add meat, cook and stir to brown, adding more bacon fat if needed. Sprinkle with seasonings and garlic, cook and stir 3 minutes, and blend in tomato paste.
Add stock, mix, cover and bring to boil. Simmer 40 minutes or until meat is tender. Add potatoes, heat, adjust seasonings to taste and serve with an extra sprinkling of paprika.

Can also add cubed, cooked carrots, celery, and bell pepper. I did not add these.

No comments: