Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Halibut Fillets

Even though this recipe calls for halibut, I think any firm white-fish would work well. When my halibut supply from a friend runs-out, I will probably use tilapia. This recipe came from the Express News 4-18-10

Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/halibut-filets

Ingredients:
1/4 cup flour
2 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper (I just used black pepper-I don't mind the black flakes in my flour)
pinch of garlic powder
2 Alaskan halibut fillets (My fillets are so big that I only needed one for 4 servings--
                                          the reason for recipes for halibut---I will miss my supply when gone)
1 stick salted butter--I always use unsalted butter---I can always add salt-- I also only used 1/2
                                    stick because I was cooking for 2 and didn't want the extra calories
2 ounces walnuts, chopped- I had pecans so that is what I used and I didn't measure
Balsamic glaze (store bought optional) I didn't find the recipe in the paper for balsamic glaze
                                                                   so I just used a splash of balsamic vinegar.
parsley, to garnish
lemon halves, to garnish
Dirrections:
Heat oven to 300 degrees. Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, white pepper and garlic powder in large bowl.  Dip fish fillets in flour mixture, shake off excess. The fillets should be lightly dusted.
Heat butter in nonstick pan over medium flame. Place fish in pan. Cook on stove until fillet is light brown on all sides.  Using a spatula, carefully turn fish to last side and place in oven for approximately 10 minutes. My fillets were so thick that I had to brown 4 sides.  While fish finishes cooking in oven, make sauce. Heat 1 stick (I used 1/2 stick) butter in a separate skillet over moderately high heat until it begins to foam.  Butter should be a light brown color at this point, and should stay warm from residual heat.
(You may also choose to not use the nuts and you will have just made brown butter, a classic accompaaniment for any number of plain cooked seafood dishes.)  If you choose to use the nuts ( I highly reccommend this) add them when you pull butter off the heat.  Remove pan with fish from oven, lift fish and tilt pan at an angle to drain excess oil. Place on hot plate for serving. If necessary give butter a few moments of heat, pour sauce with walnuts over fish. Add a few drops of balsamic glaze, if desired. Garnish with parsley and lemon half and serve.  Great dish!

No comments: