Saturday, February 6, 2010

First-Kiss Caramel Almond Kisses

I bought the book "The Recipe Club" by Andrea Israel and Nancy Garfinkel . This was one of the recipes in the book.  I decided I wanted to make some candy for my grandsons and Jud.
Ingredients:
Butter or shortening for greasing pan.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup condensed milk
1/3 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweet chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 cup heavy cream, warm
56 almonds.
1. Grease an 8-ch square baking pan.
2. Combn the sugar, cornsyrup, condensed milk, and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Stir in the chocolate, and cook, stirring occasionally, until themixture registers 240 degrees on a candy termometer. Slowly stir in th warm heavy cream and cook, stirring constantly, until thethermometer registers 246 degrees.
3. Let te mixture cool to 220 degrees. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
4. Arrange the almonds in rows (you should have 7 rows of 8 almonds each) on top of the candy.
5. Let cool, then slice into individual, 1-inch pieces.
If you don't mind eating your candy with a spoon, this might be for you. I don't know what I did wrong, but it didn't get hard like it should.  My mom used to make fude like this and we made fun of her.  Here I am being my mother.  Oh, well!  Not a bad person to immulate.

No comments: