Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Crab Cakes with Roasted Vegetables and Tangy Butter Sauce
I always hear on cooking shows to go to the grocery store and see what is fresh that day. I happend to be at the grocery to buy milk and bread and saw crab meat for $4.99 for 1 lb. of crab meat already picked from the bones. I couldn't resist. Cooking Light 2010
Ingredients for Crab Cakes:
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 egg whites, lightly beaten (I used one egg)
1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
1 1/2 cup panco breadcrumbs, divided 3/4 cup each
1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 used the zest of one lemon because I love the flavor it adds in any seafood I cook
21 baby carrots
5 small red potatoes, quartered
4 medium shallots, halved lengthwise
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 oz. haricots verts (green beans) , trimmed
2/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (I had some homemade)
3 Tablespoons chopped shallots
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1. To prepare crab cakes, combine first 7 ingredeients in a medium bowl. Gently fold in crabmeat. Gently stir in 3/4 cup panko, add lemon zest if you desire; cover and chill 30 minutes.
2. Divide crab mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/2 cup each); shape into a 3/4 inch-thick patty. Place remaining 3/4 cup of panko in a shallo0w dish. Working with 1 patty at a time, dredge in panko. Repeat procedure with the remaining patties and panko. I did not dredge in panko. It seemed substantial enough w/o it and I wanted to save my calories for dessert and I like having more crab meat than filling.
3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat both sides of crab cakes with cooking spray. Add 4 crab cakes to pan; cook 7 minutes. Carefully turn cakes over; cook 7 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, cooking spray, and remaining 4 crab cakes.
4. Preheat oven to 4509 degrees
5. To prepare vegetables, leave root and 1 inch stem on carrots; scrub with a brush. combine carrots, potatoes, and shallots in a small roasing pan. Coat vegetables with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, turning once. Coat haricots verts with cooking spray. Add haricots verts to vegetable mixture; toss. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. I didn't have green beans, so I just used the potatoes, carrots, and shallots.
6. To prepare sauce, combine broth, shallots, and vinegar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 4 min.); remove from heat. Stir in butter. Serve with crab cakes and vegetables.