Sunday, July 31, 2016
10 ounces ground beef
1 small baguette
2 cloves garlic
1 Yellow onion
2 yellow summer squash or 1 yellow squash and 1 zucchini
2 teaspoons Albondigas Spice Blend
(1/2 teaspoon smoked Paprika, 1/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground Coriander, 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano and 1/2 teaspoon dried Basil) if you want to make your own spice blend.
2 Tablespoons Golden Raisins
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1. Prepare the ingredients: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and small dice the onion. Peel the garlic; mince 1 clove, leaving the remaining clove whole. Half the 2 squash lengthwise; cut into 1/2 " pieces on an angle. Pick the parsley leaves off the stem; discard the stems and finely chop 1/2 the leaves. keeping the remaining leaves whole. Cut about 15 cherry tomatoes in 1/2. Half the baguette.
2. Cook the aromatics: In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the onion and 1/2 of the minced garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the spice blend; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until well combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Rinse and wipe out the pan.
3. Cook the squash: In the same pan, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium--high heat. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned and softened. Add remaining minced garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl; set aside in a warm place. Wipe out the pan.
4. Form the meatballs: Add ground beef, raisins, breadcrumbs and chopped parsley to the bowl of cooked aromatics; season with salt and pepper. Gently mix until just combined. Using your hands, for the mixture into 12-14 equal-sized meatballs. Transfer to a plate.
5. Cook the meatballs and make the sauce: In the same pan, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the meatballs; cook, turning occasionally, 5-7 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Carefully drain off and discard the dripping, leaving any browned bits to the pan. Add the tomato paste; and diced tomatoes, and 1/2 cup water and browned meatballs; season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally and scraping up any brown bits. Cook 5-7 minutes or until meatblls are thoroughly coated and cooked through. Remove from heat.
6. Make the Baguette: Place the baguette on a sheet pan, cut side up. Drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Toast in the oven 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven. When cool enough to handle, rub the toasted baguette with the whole garlic clove.
7. Plate: Divide the cooked meatballs and sauce and cooked squash between 2 dishes. Garnish with the whole parsley leaves. Serve the baguette on the side.